Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Darkness Reflects the Sun


"Darkness reflects the sun. Blackness reflects nothing. Between grief and nothing I will take grief." - The Wild Palms by William Falkner

I found the paper today on which I had scribbled this quote from one of the exhibits at the Museum of Modern Art when Alayna, Lynne and I were there in February, which seems like so many, many ages ago. I don't know if it makes any sense, but that is kind of how everything feels nowadays, like nothing really makes any sense.

After I posted the blog this morning, I started feeling more peaceful. Thanks for praying. The nice thing about blogs is that it allows us to be more open and honest about our feelings. It is very hard to do that in person, because you are always expected to have it all together.

We are now planning to drive to New York City and maybe spend some time at a beach house the second week of April. Does anybody know of a nice beach house we could stay at in West Virginia or Georgia? or some place along the eastern coast?

We are not sure yet what we will end up doing, but if we take a car, there are more possibilities - more flexibility as to what we can do, if we feel like it.

It is snowing again, would be nice to get away from the snow.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:27 AM

    Today it is one month since Renee slipped away to Heaven. I think its hard to believe that God can take as good care of our children, as we would. With so many people to take care of on earth and heaven, it seems like He would not have time to provide Renee with the special foods she enjoyed, or kittens or puppies. But God has said that there is no sadness in Heaven, so I have to believe that He will bless her with things that make her happy. I guess Heaven is better than my earthly mind can imagine.

    When I was staying with Justin, Renee and Alayna, while Kara had her transplant, a song I taught myself on the piano, was "In the rifted rock I'll hide me, till the storms of life are past... Now I'm resting, sweetly resting, in the cleft once made for me. Jesus blessed rock of ages I will hide myself in thee". My prayer is that you will continue to be sheltered by The Rock.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:01 PM

    I remember when you found that quote and saw something in it and wrote it down. It seems so very profound that something so dark and yet so inspiring would be there... just waiting for us. A reminder that even through our pain, aching and hurt, we have a knowledge of sunshine! We were privileged and honored to have had the chance to know and love Renee. All of her loyalty, love and inspiration. She was a girl who NEVER thought in black and white, but always saw the color all around her!
    Love and hugs,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete