Sunday, December 30, 2007

"I AM'

I was regretting the past
and fearing the future
suddenly my Lord was speaking
My name is I AM
He paused.
I waited.
He continued.
When you live in the past
With its mistakes and regrets,
it is hard.
I am not there.
My name is not I WAS.
When you live in the future
it is hard.
I am not there.
My name is not I WILL BE.
When you live in this moment
it is not hard.
I am here.
My name is I AM.
This poem has often been a source of encouragement. I think it is still hard though, even if you live in the moment. But is just so good to know that God is with us in the moment. He always wants to do something new in our lives. We sometimes long to go back to a certain moment or experience where God was so close and real to us.
That reminds me of the Daily Bread reading for December 21. (Isaiah 64: 1-3) Isaiah wanted God to behave as He had in the past...(he) longed for a repeat performance. But God had already told Isaiah that he would be doing something new. (42:9) That "something new" was Jesus!
Many of us can recall a situation when God was amazingly timely in His response to our need. Ray and Renee had an experience like that yesterday. Read the story in Ray's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment