Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Half - Baked Cake


"Hear us, for you are our God!" Hosea 8:1-4


We often call on God to ease our pain without wanting him to change our behavior. We can repent but maybe it is too late to avoid the painful consequences of our sin. We should be concerned that we will not become as worthless as a half-baked cake (vs 7) or like a crooked bow that always misses its target (vs16) or like silly, witless doves (vs11).


"Our Father in heaven, may your name be honoured."


"In him our hearts rejoice for we are trusting in his holy name." Psalm 33:21


"Take control of what I say, O Lord, and keep my lips sealed." Psalm 141:3


On the average, a person opens his or her mouth approximately 700 times a day to speak. Wow! That seems like a lot! So knowing the power of the tongue, we would do well to ask God to guard what we say so that our words will bring honor to his name. I know that is definitely something I need to keep asking God every day. Many times a day would be even better. It is so easy to say things that are not kind and gentle and once you have said it you can't take it back. I know I have hurt a lot of people by saying things without first thinking and praying about it.


"Plant the good seeds of righteousness, and you will harvest a crop of my love. Plow up the hard ground of your hearts, for now is the time to seek the Lord, that he may come and shower righteousness upon you." Hosea 10:12


You can break up the unplowed ground of your heart by acknowledging your sins and receiving God's forgiveness and guidance. I am so thankful for God's forgiveness. I know I don't deserve it, but God is so good and faithful. I am so overwhelmed with his love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment