Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Cabbage Soup


I just made a pot of cabbage soup, accompanied with some tears. I remembered that cabbage soup is what Renee requested me to make for her a year ago. She wanted to make sure I wouldn't make the cabbage pieces too big, so it would be easier for her to eat. She hadn't eaten any thing for a few days. The only thing she had been able to get down was smoothies. Justin actually went and got the cabbage. I was still feeling kind of out of it from donating stem cells, so I said I would make it later. But that never happened. When it became apparent that Renee was having trouble breathing, things went into high gear and I never even ate supper. Had a few crackers when I realized I was getting hungry. So now here we are a year later.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:16 PM

    Hi Martha & Ray,

    What a perfect parents that Renee has had. Our eyes shed tears though we knew only very small about the pain that would have had through out Renee's life. You have physically fighted by giving your bone marrow against the fate to save Renee for more years.

    As parents, you were something great to Renee, that we understand.
    We wish you celebrate Renee's first anniversary greatfully with same love and affection.

    God bless.

    Revathi and Anand Palanichami

    ReplyDelete
  2. auntie martha. you write beautifully. even though this post was essentialy about soup, it was about so very much more. i've been thinking of you, uncle ray, justin, alayna, and kara so much this week and know that will only multiply tomorrow... i pray for the miracle of joy. that God will drench you in a joy that makes no sense and that it will work deep in your hearts.

    love, dayna

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have so much strength and love and pain and faith and HOPE in your voice... you amaze me and I know the Renee loved and cherished you too. I have been thinking and praying for you and your family and I look forward to breaking bread with you soon.

    ReplyDelete